Respublik

Re: Marius Stankevičius

2021 Lie 31 20:27

Stankevicius: "I grew up as a man in Brescia thanks to many champions of humility"
https://www.bresciaoggi.it/argomenti/sp ... refresh_ce

Arrived in silence in what was the strongest team in the history of the blue and white: Marius was appreciated by the various Baggio, Guardiola and Toni

He arrived in silence in what was the strongest Brescia in history. Biondo, with an imposing physique, looked like the double of the Swedish DJ Basshunter. But it took Marius Stankevicius a short time to be appreciated. Commitment and work soon led him to become a precious and irreplaceable joker for defense (central or right-back) and also midfield (in the wing). A silent and perfect wingman for the various Baggio, Guardiola and Toni who today blows out 40 candles.

Stankevicius, how did the idea of ​​coming to play in Brescia come about?
After a match equalized by my national team, Lithuania, against Italy. In the end they asked me if I would be willing to come to Italy. And the answer was obviously positive ... Yes. The desire to come to Brescia got the better of everything else. I had already found a five-year agreement with Lokomotiv Moscow.

Happy?
A choice that I would make again.

In that famous match against the Azzurri he didn't let established champions touch the ball ...
I played a good game, it's true. And in front of me were sacred monsters like Del Piero, Inzaghi and Vieri. I still get chills.

What did they tell you in Lithuania?
Many friends told me "look, you were lucky". And I replied by saying that I was really lucky to have had the opportunity to express myself in that match. I was young and I was playing my first matches in the national team: having been able to face Italy was an extraordinary thing.

How was your impact in Brescia?
Stupendous. I had arrived in the strongest team in the history of Brescia. I think of Guardiola, Roberto Baggio, Petruzzi, Calori, Mangone, Schopp, Toni and the Filippini twins. I couldn't believe that this was happening to me.

Were you at ease on the pitch?
You could see the difference in quality with the other companions. At that moment I was physically strong, but on a technical and tactical level I had to grow and mature. It took him little to prove that he deserves to be part of that group. I have shown that there is always room for improvement.

It is not true that if you do not learn certain things as a child, then you will not grow up. Will, commitment and spirit of sacrifice go a long way. And they lead you to reach higher quality levels even if not very young anymore. Do you want an example?

Sure, tell us.
Luca Toni, a great guy and a great talent. He exploded at 23 and then you all saw what he did. He scored an avalanche of goals in all the teams where he played and became world champion with Italy. Time doesn't matter, but it pays off in the end.

How much did sharing the dressing room with great champions affect your improvements?
It was my luck, because it is playing with good players that you can grow from every point of view. There I learned to play at a high level and face the pressure that would need me later to play the Champions League as well.

It is also a question of character ...
Undoubtedly yes. Determination, work and respect must be rules in the life of a footballer. With arrogance you get nowhere, but with the humility of knowing how to get involved and wanting to improve you can do great things and achieve extraordinary results.

What were your examples?
Baggio, Guardiola and the Filippini twins have passed on a lot to me, especially from a human point of view. We must remember well that football is a game and that we do not save human lives: humility is a virtue that should come first of all.

Are there any matches played with Brescia and others that you would like to have the chance to play again?
Among the memorable matches I put the derbies against Atalanta, because they charge you and give you great stimuli. And I wouldn't want to replay other games, not even the lost ones. Because even defeat makes us grow and is part of the maturation process.

You have recently started a career as a coach: are you satisfied?
I led Lumezzane, now I will have the commitment with the Lithuanian Under 21 national team, where we will have to win the qualification for the European Championship. My philosophy does not change: I will try to pass on the teachings received to help young people grow and train not only as footballers. But as men.

How do you archive your experience in rossoblù?
We had to win and we finished first. Unfortunately we missed the playoff. Our opponents proved to be more of a team at that juncture, but the boys gave everything.

From teammate of Agliardi and Caracciolo to their coach: what effect did it have on you to find them in Lumezzane?
Federico and Andrea are two great professionals: they helped the group and I was pleased to have them available.

What memory do you have of Brescia?
Stupendous. I live in the province, I have many friends here. I often hear the Filippini twins, but also Edo Piovani, Stefano Gelona and doctor Fabio De Nard.

What do you think of the new Brescia?
I have always followed the team with affection. Cellino's project is different than Corioni's, but I see experience and the will to do well. It would be nice to be able to retrace the times I had the opportunity to experience as a footballer as soon as possible.

Today is your birthday: all that remains is to wish you happy birthday.
Thank you so much.

Grįžti į